Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fresh Start, New Heart



The Bible is full of fresh starts. King Hezekiah is one that comes to mind as God turns back the sundial ten steps and gives Hezekiah 15 more years to live. He praised God saying, "for you have cast all my sins behind your back."


The thing about fresh starts - no matter how many we can reference in the Bible or point to in people we know - is that we have difficulty believing we ourselves are deserving of them. We keep a white knuckle grip on the old, time-worn baggage of our lives in lieu of accepting a fresh start from our Creator. God longs to feed us with his lavish love and forgiveness, but first we must let go of the baggage.


George Herbert (1566-1633) wrote a beautiful, lyrical poem entitled "Love (III)" which I will paraphrase (inadequately, I'm sure - English lovers, click this link for the original version):


Love welcomed me, open arms,
to sit, to eat with Him,
yet my soul drew back,
for I knew the weight of my sins.

But quick-ey'd Love
Observing my hesitation, sensing my doubts,
Drew near to me, softly questioning,
"What is it you are lacking?"
Ashamed, I could not look Love in the eyes.

But All-Knowing Love inquired
"Who made the eyes but I?"
Shyly I looked up and whispered,
"In light of all that's passed behind me, all my sins,
I am not worthy to be here."

Love took my hand and gently said,
"And know you not, who bore the blame?
You, my dear, will I serve. You must sit down and eat."
So I did sit and eat.

~~~
"I'll give you a new heart, and put a new spirit in you. I'll remove the stone heart from your body and replace it with a heart that's God-willed, not self-willed"
(Ezekiel 36:26, MSG)


No comments: