Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

A New Artistic Journey

Over the past 6 months, I've debated back and forth with myself about where Heart-In-Hand is going and whether I should continue it or close this chapter. 

The answer that I keep coming back to is not to continue its old format, but a revised approach might be interesting. In large part, this is due to my return to the working world where my time is more divided and not conducive to hours spent pondering and writing like I enjoyed in the past.

I feel a little sheepish sharing this new approach with you because it is SO different from previous postings...and I have lots of doubts! Will you think I'm silly? Will it all be just too simple?! Is it even ready to be presented? In the midst of these thoughts: "Just go for it. See what happens. It will be fun!" 

Ever since I was a young girl, I have loved drawing cartoons. I don't even know that I'm necessarily good at it - but I enjoy it. About a year ago, a small girl appeared in my drawings, accompanied by a frog. (Yes, it's like those authors who write books and say their main characters showed up in their writings out of nowhere - weird, I know!) I kept drawing her, but I didn't know what to "do" with her. Her name is Viola Blue. She has a good heart and means well, but is often side-tracked and misses the point. That's why her sidekick and friend, Phineas Frog spends much of his time trying to get her back on track. (Read F.R.O.G. "fully rely on God")



I introduced her into my "Psalm Sunday" readings and sketched her alongside some of my favorite verses. It became a goal to try and pull some simple truths out of my readings and draw her into them. I suppose I could keep her for myself, but what would be the fun of that? With the goal of keeping it simple and joyful - like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich :0) - "Peanut Butter and Joy" was born. 

I'm not sure if PBandJoy will be a part of every entry from now on, but a briefer more artistic approach to Heart-in-Hand is definitely part of the new direction. One thing hasn't changed since I first started Heart-In-Hand over 5 years ago...my desire to share with others the things that inspire me and touch my heart with the hope that you may be lifted up and inspired as well.

So, if you are inclined to join me on this new artistic journey, I would welcome your continued support and sharing. 

And here is your first "PBandJoy": 



No comments: