Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

God Has Something Bigger in Mind


When I read a "God is my shield" reference in the Bible, you can bet I underline it. It always feels good to be reminded and we can find many passages in the Bible referencing "shields."

In Psalm 3, David reflects on trusting God in times of adversity as he despairs that in the eyes of his enemies, there is "no help for him in God." But David knows better and proclaims:

"But YOU, O Lord,
are a shield around me,
my glory,
and the one who lifts my head" (v3)

This isn't any tiny shield David is referring to. Charles Spurgeon defines the use of the word shield here:

"Shield in the original signifies more than a shield;
it means a BUCKLER round about, a protection
which will surround a person entirely.
A shield above, beneath, around, without and within."

In this world we face battles - sickness, anxieties, pain, loss - there is no protection that keeps us sheltered from experiences that shatter our confidence. In fact, our life experience is a battle of confidence and the world can be quick to set us to doubting who we go to for help. King David knew the only kind of real help comes from God, our Father, who lifts our head in holy confidence reminding us that the very creator of heaven and earth is above, beneath, around, without and within us.

Jesus answered them, “Do you finally believe? In fact, you’re about to make a run for it—saving your own skins and abandoning me. But I’m not abandoned. The Father is with me. I’ve told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.” (John 16:31-33 MSG)

No comments: